My new year’s resolution is to do a better job documenting my work with pictures, snippets and abandoned ideas. This site will serve both as the means and the end of my first post.

I decided to go with a combination of static content with dynamic data served from a VM. It’s a little more complicated, but it’s a fun project to try out. Github Pages is as an easy way to publish back-of-the-envelope ideas, but most of my projects require a DB of some sort, hence the need for the VM. I could’ve used a VM for everything and that might be a way to consolidate things in the future, but, for now, I like not having to worry about server maintenance for the static content.

I’m not a big fun of gems and ruby, but I like jekyll’s structure and the separation between posts and pages.

In order to get things going:

  1. Setup a GH repo and enable GH Pages on it.
  2. Install jekyll. I find it easier to iterate locally while getting the hang of jekyll
  3. Create a sample jekyll site and start iterating on it!

In a matter of minutes, I found myself overriding the header, footer and posts layout. Piece of cake.